As we close out each year. We go through this routine where we think about all the things we would like to change in our lives to create a New Years Resolution for the upcoming year. We all have room for improvement, so creating change in our lives is not a bad thing. The issue begins when we start off the New Year with positive energy and focused on the positive change. we are all engaged in maintaining the resolutions that we had made. Then the days get busy, times passes by and then in the blink of an eye those resolutions are just a memory in that section of our lives filled with the could have and should have.
Create New Years Resolutions with the best intention of keeping them by selecting the changes that you can adapt to your life that are small enough to keep and measurable to create a change.
Here are some easy, adaptable, and measurable New Years Resolutions tips…
- Eating: How many of us say we are going to start a diet then we don’t follow through after a couple of days. Instead, you to cut out one or two items off your menu that you can slowly incorporate into your life.
- Organize your life: So many of us are guilty of buying that planner or downloading that application to help us organize our finances or our schedules. Start off slow. With everyone owning a smartphone, begin with using your current calendar that your phone comes with. If you are already doing that then find a financial application like Mint that is free and easy to use.
- Save Money: Everyone is at a different stage in their life financially. We all don’t make the same salary, we need to keep in mind that instead of changing your 401K plan to the maximum deduction when you still have unpaid bills might not be the smartest thing. Start small, every bank has keep the change program where you can begin to save money without impacting your finances. Work on paying a few dollars more than the minimum due on your credit cards. Have your bank transfer a few dollars to your savings account that you are comfortable with.
- Enjoy Life: Everyone’s happy place is at a different comfort zone. Maybe hitting the dance floor makes you happy, reading that new book, traveling, watching a new tv series, or getting a massage. Find that sweet spot in your life and do it more often. Create the time for it.
- Be Sociable: So many of us are guilty of this, especially if you have a family or are a workaholic. Your soul needs you to interact with others. Find the time, it can be once a month where you can get out and enjoy date night with your partner to get away from the kids or grab a drink or dinner with some friends.
If you have already made your list, take some time to rethink them through and feel free to tweak them if necessary to successfully keep your New Years Resolutions through the year.
Wishing you luck!