Since moving to New York three years ago, snow storms usually signify living in your pajamas, watching endless amounts of movies, and eating pounds of comfort food. The desire to be active and have a productive day is no where near your mind, all those New Years resolutions are out the door. It is so important to stay focused, this year I promised myself that regardless of the busy schedule or the complications that life gives us, including the weather it is important to stay on task and honor the goals we set for ourselves.
I have been recently introduced to SWERVE Fitness where they transformed traditional bike fitness into a team collaboration atmosphere that creates a bonding unity that boosts your energy, working our your entire body as they track your fitness always pushing you to overcome your goals. The riders are divided into teams that compete against each tore for the highest “Swerve score”.
Whether your in the region experiencing the Jonas Blizzard or located somewhere full of sunshine, exercising can become a task in our complicated schedule. Here are some tips by Swerve Instructor Jason Tran that you can focus on key areas in a quick 15-minute workout that you can do regardless of time.
Each exercise should be performed in 30 seconds, you should complete 3 rounds, and you should give yourself a 1 min rest in between rounds.
1. SQUATS : Turn them into Goblet Squats by cupping a glass of wine in your hands
*targets the glutes and quads
2. CURSY LUNGE TO SQUAT (Right & Left) : Start in a standing position, then lunge your right foot back to about 7 o’clock, return to squat position. On the left side, your foot will go to 5 o’clock.
*targets lower body
3. SINGLE LEG DEADLIFT (Right & Left) : Start with feet slightly apart and parallel, extend working leg behind you and slightly bend knee of standing leg, extending your torso forward while maintaining a flat back, and return to stand.
*works the glutes and hamstrings and core
4. POPCORN SQUATS : Start in a squat and hold the position while jumping your feet up and down or together – for added inspiration, throw popcorn in the microwave
*glutes and quads
5. DONKEY KICKS (Right & Left) : Get on your hands and knees and kick one leg back and up as high as you can, then pull your knee into your chest, then set it back down and repeat.
*glutes and shoulders
30 W 18th Street (between 5th and 6th avenues) New York, NY 10011 (212) 242-3330