One of the activities that I enjoy doing with my family is visiting my local zoo. The excitement of seeing our favorite animals creates an incredible experience for the whole family. It doesn’t matter how many times we visit our local zoo each time is like a new experience as we each learn something that we might have missed on our previous visit. Taking your children to visit your local zoo can create learning opportunities as well can a bonding experience for the whole family.
Benefits of visiting the zoo:
- Reading: As I travel through the zoo with my family, I encourage my children to read all of the signs. Not only are they learning something new about each animal. They are also reading which let’s be honest can be hard to get them to do. But they are learning new words that they might not have seen or use often. It also helps them learn about different parts of the world as they learn where each animal is from. Even though they do not know it there are increasing they vocabulary and comprehension from reading the signs and learning about each animal.
- Priceless Family Time: Let’s face it sometimes trying to get the whole family to get together can be a challenge. Especially as they grow older and have different interests. Visiting the zoo as a family has become a family tradition. It allows us a dedicated time to come together as a family and create sweet memories.
- Environmental Awareness: Visiting the zoo creates an opportunity for not only the child but the whole family too learn new ways to help protect the environment. It is heartbreaking to admit but within the last three years each visit is a learning experience on how the endangered animal list continues to grow. With each visit we learn different ways that we can contribute to protecting the environment like building a bird house, planting trees, and recycling.
- Promotes Exercise: Whether your into exercising or not. A visit to your local zoo will have you walking and hiking through the different exhibits. I avoid hopping on the trolleys that transport the guests to different parts. I use the visits as a way to promote exercise for the whole family.
- Promotes Creativity and Exploration: A visit to the zoo can leave the whole family asking questions, thinking outside the box. The fact of learning about the unknown and the desire to learn more with just asking a small question that might not seem like a big deal is a key source of development and self awareness.
I recently spent the day visiting my local zoo, The Bronx Zoo with my family were we explored, admired our favorite animals, and spent an amazing day creating priceless memories. The Bronx Zoo features many programs and activities that will enlighten the whole families heart, mind and soul.
- 4-D Theater that is currently featuring the film Wild Survivors animals in 4D that allows you to not only see the amazing stories of these animals but feel it with the sensory effects.
- Camel rides for those who dream of seeing one in person.
- Penguin feedings that will leave you in amazement as you see them up close and personal. (This is my favorite, I can literally sit there all day watching them.)
- Sea Lion feedings will leave you laughing. These animals are curios and their behavior towards each other is quite hilarious as they play with each other. My son always love watching them play.
- The Wild Asia Monorail takes you through the heart of the Asia wilderness to where you can see the Red Pandas, Elephants, and Rhinos up close and personal.
- The Bronx Zoo Quests spots can be found all over the zoo where you and your family can visit to participate in activities and learn more about the animals while exploring.
- The coolest Bug Carousel is located in the middle of the park.
- Bronx Zoo also offers fun and exciting education programs for the whole family.
It is important to join forces and educate ourselves in ways that we can help protect and save wildlife. To learn more visit wcs.org whose mission is to save wildlife and their habitats through science, conservation action, education, and inspiring people like ourselves to value nature. Together WE CAN!